Saturday, October 12, 2013

Week 41 - Sixth Week

Going to be an interesting week this week.  Will actually run in four different countries this week, which seems really strange but feel very fortunate that I have the opportunity to do so.  Germany, Netherlands, Belgium and Ireland...

Sunday 6 October

Me at the border between Germany and The Netherlands
GPS proof of border crossing
Never did I imagine I'd ever run in two states on a single run let alone two countries (did the two states run a few times between Indiana and Kentucky this year).  Well Axel only lives 2-3km from the Dutch boarder and being the dorky tourist i felt like being, I ran to the Netherlands from Germany.  Axel, Kerstin and their son Hannes all came with me on there bikes.  Real leisurely pace and some posing for the camera at the border...Grade B.



Monday 7 October

The boring dreadmill run at the Sheraton Airport Brussels.  Grade C.

Tuesday 8 October

St Stephens Park in Dublin - fantastic park
 I loved Dublin.  What a fantastic city to run in, shop in, and people watch.  I also made sure i had my pint of Guinness while there, but more importantly, crushed a 5k training run in St. Stephens park.  I also don't think this will be the last time in run in this park - perfectly laid out so that the long ring around the scenic park is almost exactly 1 km...just perfect.  Lots of people out doing sports, sitting around reading, pushing babies in strollers - made me miss my family big time, and people eating and hanging out.  Pushed pace for the run 5:39 min/km.  Grade A.



Wednesday 9 October

The boring dreadmill run at the Westbury Hotel in Dublin.  Grade C.

Thursday 10 October

Worked a pretty long day but got caught up with my work - which put me back at the hotel almost at 7pm.  Went for a quick run around the ring.  I could see that the barricades for Sunday's race were starting to be staged - and that got me excited.  Grade A-.


Friday 11 October

I got up early and went for a run around the ring.  The weather was perfect - shorts were ok, but you needed a long sleeve shirt, winter hat and gloves.  My last 4km were all under 5:30 km/min - which I'd be happy with for a race pace come Sunday.  Grade A.
 


Saturday 12 October

Just an real easy lap around the ring - not too much effort since i have the race tomorrow.   Body felt like going faster.  Grade A (hey, it's a taper run).

Distance Recap

Didn't really have any targeted distance this week - just wanted to explore the different parts of Europe I am lucky enough to be able to run in.  Did nearly 25k this week which feels right given the race distance Sunday.  I am ready for my race tomorrow and I'll post a 'special edition' blog entry post race!

Next week I need to get one speed workout in.  Hopefully i can do that.  Also planning to go to Brussel for the weekend and will run with a friend in the city on Saturday and Sunday mornings, so that's kind of fun.  At this point, the Sunday race will really be the last long run before the half in Indy - so the hay is already in the barn as we say in the Midwest!


No comments:

Post a Comment